An average family will create over 100 pints of moisture a week through normal household chores such as cooking, washing, ironing, using the tumble drier and bathing. This can lead to a build-up of condensation, which can cause mould.
You can ease the problem by following a few simple steps:
- putting lids on saucepans, drying washing outside and avoiding using paraffin or bottled gas heaters
- opening the bedroom window for 15 minutes each morning
- making sure your home is well insulated
- heating your home a little more
- ventilating rooms regularly and leaving doors open to allow air to circulate, unless you’re cooking or showering
- if you’re cooking, showering or bathing – opening the window, putting the fan on and closing the door of the room you’re in will help
Tips to remove mould
If the mould in your home is caused by condensation, you can usually remove it by following these steps as recommended by NHS.co.uk:
- Put on goggles, long rubber gloves and a mask that covers your nose and mouth to protect yourself from mould spores. Open the windows in the room but keep doors closed to prevent spores spreading to other areas of the house.
- Have a plastic bag ready to take away any soft furnishings, clothes and soft toys that are mouldy. Soft furnishings should be shampooed and clothes professionally dry cleaned.
- Fill a bucket with water and some mild detergent, such as washing up liquid or a soap used for hand-washing clothes.
- Use a rag dipped in the soapy water to carefully wipe the mould off the wall. Be careful not to brush it, as this can release mould spores.
- When you’ve finished, use a dry rag to remove the moisture from the wall.
- Afterwards, put the rags in a plastic bag and throw them away.
- All the surfaces in the room should be thoroughly cleaned to remove any spores.
If you have tried these solutions and still have a problem, fill in the form to request an inspection.