What is Extra care?
Extra care is not just an apartment or house – it’s your home with your own front door. By moving into one of our schemes, you can have a new lease of life, knowing that you can live your life independently, with care and support from the on-site care team when you need it. Every individual is different, so as a resident, the care and support provided will depend on your needs. There is also an opportunity for you to socialise, meet other people and enjoy learning new skills.
What is the low cost home ownership scheme?

This scheme is operated by Wales & West Housing in partnership with the local authority to assist buyers who want to get onto the property ladder but cannot meet the full cost of buying their first home.

Homes under the schemes are offered to buyers at 70% of the open market value. You would own the property outright but Wales & West Housing would hold a legal charge on the remaining 30% equity share. You would only need to raise a mortgage/deposit for the 70% and no interest or rent would be payable on the 30% equity share.

Successful applicants will need to demonstrate by way of a mortgage in principal that they are able to finance 70% of the property value. A deposit of between 5% and 15% would still normally be required by mortgage companies.

Buying a property through the scheme will still incur the normal costs associated with buying a property on the open market including valuation, mortgage and survey fees, legal fees and stamp duty.

How do I become a Board Member?
The Board is elected from shareholders and therefore anyone considering applying to be a shareholder must have the skills, experience and be willing to stand as a Board Member. The Board approves the applications of prospective shareholders and seeks to attract people who represent the communities served by the Association.
Complaint or Concern
You can make a complaint or raise a concern with us We take complaints and concerns seriously. We believe it’s best to deal with things straight away and we try to resolve it for you informally there and then or put steps in place to sort it out. We will review your complaint/concern formally if you are unhappy with our response or if your complaint/concern is of a very serious nature. As part of the formal resolution process we will acknowledge your concern with the details who will be investigating your complaint. We will ask you what you want us to do to remedy the problem. We will aim to investigate and respond to you within 20 working days (but we may need to extend this if it’s a complex matter). We will keep you informed of what’s going on; the level of contact will be based upon the issue itself.

Manage my finances

I do not have enough money in my bank account for my Direct Debit. What should I do?
Contact us immediately so we can talk to you about paying your rent. If told in sufficient time, usually two working days, we may be able to suspend the Direct Debit and stop you having to pay bank charges. Email: Contact my Housing Officer
I don’t have a bank account, can I still set up a Direct Debit?
If you haven’t got a bank or building society account don’t worry, we can help and support you to set one up. Contact my Housing Officer
Who do I contact about rent queries?
Please contact your Housing Officer who will help with any queries you may have or call us on 0800 052 2526. Contact my Housing Officer
Can I pay over the phone?
You can pay over the phone using your debit or credit card by calling 0800 052 2526 between 8am and 5pm Monday to Friday. We cannot take card payments unless the card holder is present. Alternatively you can pay online by card at any time.
I have a Swipe Card, can I still use this?
Residents who currently use Swipe Cards can continue to pay this way. Paying by Direct Debit is the simplest way to stay on top of your rent with regular payments taken straight from your bank or building society account on a date that suits you. Contact my Housing Officer
How do I set up a standing order?
A Standing Order is where you tell your bank to pay us an exact amount regularly. Speak to your Housing Officer who can help you to set up a standing order. Contact my Housing Officer
I am struggling to pay my rent and bills. Can you help?
Yes we can. Contact your Housing Officer for support and advice.

Manage my home

How do I report a repair?
You can report a repair online by completing our repairs form, or call 0800 052 2926. Our repairs line is open 8am-5pm Monday to Friday. All non-emergency repairs are dealt with within these hours. Find out more in our report a repair section.
Where can I find out what to do about a specific problem in or outside my home?
Our report a repair page contains guides on what to do about a range of issues in the home, from being without heating, hot water or electricity to leaks and broken doors. You can also find out what to do about external issues such as rats, mice, bees and wasps or overgrown trees. Visit report a repair page.
Do you allow pets?
In almost all cases yes – we’re aware of the happiness and companionship pets can bring and all we ask is that you follow a few simple rules. Please let us know if you’re planning to get a pet by filling in the consent to change form. Once you become a pet owner, care for them responsibly and ensure they don’t cause a nuisance to neighbours. You are not allowed to keep any animal registered under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976, and only if you have a certificate of exemption from a court can you keep a dog registered under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991. Contact your Housing Officer if you have any questions or require advice.
How do I transfer to another Wales & West Housing home?
If you already live in a Wales & West home but it is no longer suitable for you, you can ask for a transfer. If you live in Bridgend or Wrexham speak to your Housing Officer who can discuss your options with you. For other local authority areas you will have to contact the local authority in the area you wish to move to and join their Common Housing Register. Before applying for a transfer, please make sure:
  • Your rent is up to date
  • Your property is in good condition
  • You don’t cause a nuisance to your neighbours

You might like to look into a mutual exchange as this could increase your chances of finding a suitable home more quickly.

How do I exchange home?
If you’re looking to move home, the easiest way is to swap with someone else living in a house owned by a registered social landlord. HomeSwapper is a website, where people wanting to move can post details of what they want and get matched with other people wanting to move. Registration to HomeSwapper is free for Wales & West Housing residents and once you’ve signed up you can post details of what you’re looking for and what you’re swapping. HomeSwapper will automatically search for potential swaps and alert you of potential matches.

When you have found someone to exchange with speak to your Housing Officer. They will send you the exchange form to complete and return before we can approve the swap.

Before applying for a mutual exchange, please make sure:

  • You have been a resident for more than 12 months
  • Your rent is paid up to date
  • Your home is in a good condition
  • The property you wish to move to is suitable for your needs
  • You are not in any other breach of your occupation contract
I want to change something in my home
You need to ask us in writing if you want to make changes to your home or your occupation contract (including requesting to have a pet).  Please complete the consent to change form to request consent to make a change or contact your Housing Officer.


Insurance policy details/Portal ID
For Employers Liability our insurer is Aspen, policy number IoAG3WJ23A0M via Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Ltd and the portal compensator ID AJGallagher G00315. For Public Liability our insurer is Aspen, policy number IoAG3WJ23A0M via Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Ltd and the portal compensator ID AJGallagher G00315.