Supporting the Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal

Find out what you can do as a Wales & West Housing resident to help, including information on housing Ukrainian refugees

The Situation

The Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) have estimated that 18 million people will be affected by the intense conflict in Ukraine. 4 million people, more than the entire population of Wales, are expected to be displaced from their home.  

Homes have been destroyed, health facilities, water supplies and schools have also been damaged or destroyed. At least 3 million people have already fled their homes and face an uncertain future. 

We are aware that some residents want to do what they can to help.  

What can I do?

Donate to the Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal 

Help DEC charities (including Action Aid, British Red Cross, and Action Against Hunger) provide food, water, shelter and healthcare to refugees and displaced families.

Homes for Ukraine appeal

The UK Government has launched the Homes for Ukraine appeal. This scheme supports people in the UK with spare rooms to offer refugee(s) a safe place to live for a minimum of 6 months.

I live in a WWH home and have a spare room – can I take part in the Ukraine appeal? 

Yes, but with consent from us. We want to support our residents who have enough space to host refugee(s).

We need to know if you are taking part so we can offer the right support to you and ensure correct housing records are maintained.

If you are considering taking part and want to speak to us, call the Housing Support Team on 0800 052 2526.

  • If you are accepted as a host you will receive monthly support payments. Having people live with you, even short-term, could affect any financial help you receive towards your rent or service charges. This could be a payment from your local authority (Housing Benefit) or as part of a Universal Credit payment. You can find further information relating to hosting and income on the Welsh Government’s website.
  • you cannot charge rent payments from those you take in 
  • You are not expected to supply meals to anyone you take in 
  • The Welsh Government is putting together a package of support for refugees, including free transport on all Transport for Wales services for six months. Check for updates.
  • Please consider the size of your home. There are strict guidelines on how many people can live in our homes to make sure that they are not considered ‘overcrowded,’ as set out in housing law. You can find this information in your occupation contract.
  • Please check whether any insurance policies on your home or contents could be affected.
  • There may be other arrangements around how your home was let to you, which could be related to age, or if you receive care or support services which you need to consider before hosting. You would have been advised of this when you moved into your home, but if not, please get in touch to check.

To apply for our consent to take part in the Homes for Ukraine appeal please complete the form below so we can contact you to confirm whether you can become a host. We will contact you within 2 weeks of receiving your form after which, if consent is granted, you will be able to register with the UK Government’s Homes for Ukraine appeal.

Ukraine appeal form

Please complete the form below to let us know you wish to be considered as a host to a refugee(s).

You must have our consent so that we can ensure your housing records are complete and up to date.

If you cannot complete this online form, please call 0800 052 2526 and speak to the Housing Support Team.

Do you have a spare bedroom to host?

Have you registered with the Government's Homes for Ukraine scheme?

Once you have our consent, register as a potential host with the Homes for Ukraine Appeal